Who Am I ?

    Hey guys and girls. My first post gave you a glimpse of the Aladdin in Kiarra, but you never got to know who Kiarra was. 

    I am Kiarra and I am not a regular college student. I am a student, a sister, a dog mommy and I am also a storyteller; and today Im going to share my story. 

    I am an uprising senior at Queens University and coming to Charlotte NC from a very small town, you would think I would like the city. Well 3 years ago, I hated Charlotte, I hated Queens and I really wanted to go where my mom was. It was really hard being away from her and while move out was May 3rd, Kiarra was gone to her mom by April 22nd.  Spending the summer with my mom after my first year was very comforting, so comforting it prepared me for going back to school and being ok without her; and when I came back, I came back better than ever. 

    Things were going really well for me, I am killing the school year, dominating my health, and prioritizing me. I even picked up a few new hobbies like guitar and yoga. I felt so good, I looked good and I preformed even better. 

    Feeling so good, my two friends and I went to my first Charlotte Hornets game, was I there supporting the Hornets, sadly no. I am crazy obsessed with Kyrie Irving and my friend was crazy obsessed with Teyana Taylor husband Iman Shepard. So of course we went to the game and being at my first Hornets game I had a blast, it wasn't many people there but I had my amigas with me so it was a great time. The half time show was the best part with the dance competition they had. I recorded one of the most viral moments not only that but I really took an interest in the in area hosts. I gravitated to what they did and the way they did things not knowing they were married. I just knew I needed to meet them. After the game, my friends and I snuck down to try to get the female host (Jacinda Jaccobs) attention but I couldn't make it to the court. But I did get a chance to make it to the male host FlyTy. Queens does a great job with preparing you for internships and networking so when I shot down there BOOM!!! Elevator pitch, picture, contact information. I then reached out to Flyty through the contact information that was provided and I really didn't get any response from him so I did some digging and found the female host I was idoling that night. Through her instagram page, I found that she did internship opportunities and I was ECSTATIC!!

      I reached out to her and when we got to talking, things started rolling with us. But my opportunities were NOT the only thing cooking in the pot. Covid was soon to approach us. 

    I can remember it like it was yesterday, it was in March and was supposed to start on a Monday, the 17th to be exact. Interning at the Steve Harvey morning show with Flyty was the biggest opportunity that I've ever had in my life. That Friday before my internship opportunity started Queens University sent out an email that students had about 3-5 days to pack up their home away from home. 

    When covid came, my internship and a lifetime opportunity went. 

   I went to Queens because these letters kept coming to my house about broadcasting and journalism and I took a career test and they really lined up together. Mrs. Jacinda gave me the biggest moment of my life and I dont think she realized how much I was thankful for the internship opprituninty. I didn't even get to show them my great personality that I know they will love. So during the pandemic and through quarantine. I couldn't help but to send a message to her every now and then looking for the same opportunity. Not knowing later in life that I would be granted with a better opportunity. 

    Junior year is the most crucial year in college so I've heard. But I don't think my junior year matched up to any other juniors from previous years because I went through my junior year, the most crucial year, in a pandemic. Not many people know how big of an accomplishment that is but looking back, that is really big for me now as an uprising senior. My school is big on internships and knowing what I am interested in which is the media. How could I possibly get an internship in a radio station, or tv station during a pandemic. It was nearly impossible for me and I didn't want to waste my time getting an internship that didn't even help me with that I wanted to do, but I thought it was going to go in that direction. 

    I made it through the school year, now I am in the summer working a new job. I decided to reach out to Mrs. Jacinda one more time to see if there's any opportunities for the upcoming fall (because I still need an internship to graduate) and she granted me with a GRAND opprotunity. So viewers, please stay tuned for the most important moments in my life as a college students, Kiarra, and also the Aladdin in Kiarra. 




Comments